Friday, May 24, 2013

My Transplant: A Foiled Escape

So, dealing with a transplant, mucositis, and insane hallucinations was nearly impossible. Add to that my body struggling to recovery after Bone Marrow Drano, I really don't know how I survived.

Not only did I see things that weren't there and say things I don't remember, I also did things that, to this day, I cannot remember.

One night, alone in my hospital room, I tried to pack up and leave:


I then proceeded to wander around the room, packing up my clothes. I don't know how I even managed to get out of the bed by myself because I had my IVs to drag along with me. I need at least one person to help me get to the bathroom, and somehow I made it all the way around the room without pulling out all my tubes. Here's me doing the cancer shuffle around the ward, lugging the Ol' Pole a' Machines around:


The next day, when I woke up I started to cry because I thought the nurse was trying to kidnap me. This is what I saw:


Of course he wasn't kidnapping me. He was trying to get me back into bed because apparently I was trying to leave again. This is what it actually looked like:


Looking back, I can laugh at these experiences, but at the time I was terrified. I had done something I couldn't remember, something that I was sure I didn't do, yet everyone said I did. I even later found the bag I started packing, and it was half-full with my clothes that my mom had put in a the little dresser.

Not only that, but I really could have killed myself as I tried to pack up and leave. I could have slipped and fallen. I could have pulled my port out and bled out. Fortunately the nurses at my hospital are diligent and they found me wandering around right away before I could hurt myself.

Despite the danger, however, it makes for an amusing story. At least I can say I kept my nurses on their toes. There was never a dull day in my hospital room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment