Saturday, December 17, 2011

Realization

I remember the exact moment I found out I had ALL. It was at 12:16 pm on December 6th, 2011. The doctor had just told me that I would have to go through chemo and treatment for two whole years. I felt ready to throw up all over the place at that point. I remember mumbling a few things while my parents asked questions. "But I feel fine," "How many years?" "Will I be able to keep my cat?" and the most important, "How did this happen?"

I've asked this to a few of the doctors at the first hospital and now here and received different answers. For the most part, there's no predicting how one gets leukemia. It's a mutation of the blood cells (or something like that), and happens randomly.

However, my first doctor, in response to my question "How did I get this?", answered, "Well, did you live near a refinery or nuclear power plant?" I hadn't of course.

And then I remembered taking this picture of my cat a few weeks before going to the hospital:


It's all starting to make sense...

1 comment: